Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week 7 Storytelling: The Super Shiny Goldfish

Bob the Goldfish Boss from the game "Earthworm Jim"
In the deep, deep valley of the West there lies a grand lake called the Lake of Plentiful. Inside of this lake there was a big shiny bubble.

This particular bubble had been in the Lake of Plentiful ever since the first drop of water that created the lake. The bubble became shinier and shinier throughout the years until it was so shiny that even the sun’s rays were outshined by the bubble. Then one day the bubble burst, and a shiny goldfish came out of it.

The goldfish was shining uncontrollably and blinding every living thing in the lake. Soon the shiny goldfish learned to control his ability to shine brightly by channeling his energy to the core of his body. However, the light that shone through the lake caught the attention of an excited fisherman.

“What was that bright light that I just saw? Could it be treasure? Or could it be a big fish that reflected the sun’s light?” pondered the thrilled fisherman.

The fisherman then set out on his boat to see what that light was. Armed with his fishing poles and a large net, the fisherman cast all of his equipment into the lake hoping to catch something shiny. In the end, all the fisherman caught was a little goldfish and released it back into the water.

“Well, this was disappointing. Maybe it was just my eyes deceiving me,” said the fisherman as he rowed his boat back to shore.

“Phew! That was really close. I thought I was gonna be a goner,” said the shiny goldfish in relief.

Later through the years, the shiny goldfish began to grow bit by bit and was able to swim faster than any of the other fish in the lake. He also gained enough power to jump high above the water and shine brightly with the sun.

One day the shiny goldfish was seeking for an adventure and saw a group of goldfish looking into a dark underwater cave.

The goldfish said to each other, “If anyone of us can go to the deepest part of this cave and light it up, we will name him the Super Shiny Goldfish and he will be our leader.”

The shiny goldfish swam up in front of them and confidently said, “I will become this great ‘Super Shiny Goldfish’ and lead you all in all sorts of fun and adventure.” He then proceeded to enter the dark cave and began to glow brighter and brighter. As he swam deeper into the cave, he noticed that the cave was not staying lit. Then the shiny goldfish came up with an idea and pulled his scales off and stuck them into the sides of the cave.

The shiny goldfish had the ability to control how much light was shining from his scales and used it to make the cave stay lit. Near the end of the cave he saw that there was another tunnel that seemed to lead to a world outside of the Lake of Plentiful. Above this tunnel were words that said, “Those who have the power of light will guide their people to a brighter path.”

He then went back to the entrance of the cave and shone brightly in front of the other goldfish and said, “Come on in! It is a great spot for us to live and hide from enemies and the fisherman.”

The goldfish acknowledged the shiny goldfish as their new leader and gave him the title of Super Shiny Goldfish.

They all went into the cave and enjoyed their safety and comfort for the next several years.

Author’s Note. I got the inspiration to write this story from the story of the “Handsome King of the Apes” in The Monkey King unit. In the original version the main character is an ape that was born from a stone that absorbed all elements. This caught the attention of the Lord of the Heavens and he sent down some people to check it out. His scouts then told him that it was just an ape and they had nothing to worry about. Soon after the stone ape grew up and became pretty strong. Then one summer day, the stone ape and a group of his friends were challenging each other to go through the waterfall without getting hurt. The winner would become known as their king. The stone ape took up this challenge and successfully went through the waterfall and back and became the Handsome King of the Apes.

In my story, the main character is a shiny goldfish who was born from a very shiny bubble that had absorbed tons of sunlight. The Lord of the Heavens was the fisherman who caught the shiny goldfish but didn’t recognize it at the time since the shiny goldfish knew how to control his shiny power. Both the cave behind the waterfall and in the lake were quite similar. In the end both main characters got a title and a leading position.

Bibliography.
"The Ape Sun Wu Kung" ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921). Web source: Internet Archive
Rare Shiny Magikarp from Pokemon

9 comments:

  1. Hi Urian!! That was such a cute story! I like how you changed it up and used a fish instead of a monkey. The goldfish's new title of "Super Shiny Goldfish" was a nice touch as well haha! I really like the parallels between the two stories, like how you used the fisherman as the Lord of the Heavens. I also like the pic of the rare shiny magikarp! Was that your inspiration? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Urian! I thought you did a great job reimagining the story. You did a good job setting up the story and carrying it through to the end. I liked the narrator's voice a lot. The Rare Shiny Magikarp was helpful in picturing what this goldfish looked like! The "Super Shiny Goldfish" part had me laughing. I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Urian!
    I really liked the new spin that you put to your story. Your background really added to the overall theme of the story too because it makes you feel like you are actually underwater. I think that I read in your introduction that you actually had some goldfish growing up so I'm assuming that is why you picked goldfish to be the main character of your story which is a good way to bring your personal life and experiences into it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Urian! I think that you did a good job retelling this story! It was very straight forward and an effective use of words, which I like. I giggled with the title 'Super Shiny Goldfish.' It made the story able to transcend age groups because of how childlike the title is. The author's note helped to show that you kept the strong endowed male character of the species, and then have them help out their species in order to gain prestige. I had not read the original tale before, and I think you did a good job recapping the original in your author's note. I am also glad that you didn't tweak the ending to where the main character died. Good job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Urian,

    Great job on retelling the story! I like how you seem to find a story and always incorporate Goldfish to it! I like how the goldfish was fished out but then let go by the fisherman. This was a very good way of changing the story and adapting it to the gold fish from the original story of the ape. I also like the idea you had of the goldfish lighting up the cave with scales by setting them up like lights to light up the cave. That was very clever of you to put into your story. Overall I think you did an excellent job on the retelling of the story. I can see your creativity in the ways you are able to incorporate Goldfish to any story you write. I am excited to see what the next Goldfish story will be about! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Urian!
    I had so much fun reading your other story, The Betta and The Tetra, that I just had to see what other stories you have posted. I enjoy the adventures that you created for the world of fishes for your Mr. Fishy. This is really cute and fun that the goldfish can use his powers of illumination at will. I was worried there at the end that they were being led into a trap, I was relieved that they all arrived safely and had met a happy ending. Your shiny goldfish is very clever, will he be showing up in more stories in the portfolio? I look forward to reading more of your stories. The images of the fish are funny. I haven't even thought about the cartoon Earthworm Jim for a very long time, and almost did not recognize Bob the Goldfish! Overall, great job Urian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Urlan,

    Entering your portfolio, I automatically knew I was going to enjoy reading your stories because the blue ocean background caught my eye and pulled me in. I chose to read My Fish Mr. Fishy because I actually used to have a fish named Mr. Fishy and it was a goldfish.

    The picture you chose to portray your goldfish hit the nail right on the head. Even before reading the story, I knew the personality and some characteristics of the fish. You did a great job of setting up the scene and describing the imagery so the reader can better visualize the story that they are reading. That also kept me interested and entertained because I can see the story playing out in my head. The dialogue you added was a great addition to understand the thoughts of the fisherman. Thank you for turning an old fable into a cute story about fish, that is more reachable than an ape in our society today. Great job and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Urian,

    First off, I really like your blog design! My favorite season is summer so it brought me back to the days spent all day next to the water! I loved that your stories are based on fish! Growing up my favorite computer game was the Freddi Fish games. I like the images you chose. I was able to get an understanding of the character before even reading. I also like how you spaced all of your paragraphs! It makes it so much easier to read on my small screen! Your dialogue was really good too! Dialogue makes it easy for the readers to really connect with the characters and the story. Great writing and I can't wait to read more this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Urian,
    your portfolio is very nice. I love the way that it is set up they the water as the background it makes me fell like i am in a fish bowl. Your stories are very creative I love how you worked a goldfish in to the story of the monkey king. the idea of him coming out of a bubble is a wonderful idea. you did a very good job blending your fish story with the story of the monkey king. I could defiantly see the parallels like the egg and the rock, the fisherman and the gods, and the cave and the waterfall, oh and we cant forget that they both become king :D. that picture of the goldfish is really cool as well. I just have to know where did you come up with the idea to do your stories about fishes. I think it was a good idea. over all good work and i will come back are read more later

    ReplyDelete