Thursday, August 27, 2015

The UnTextbook Week 1

Since I come from an Asian background, I have picked the Asian Units that interest me.

Buddha: This unit about Buddha interested me because I have quite a few friend and relatives who are Buddhist and I have always wondered what stories of origin it had. All I know is that there are different kinds of Buddhas since the Chinese one is different from the Indian one so I would like to know more about how they are different and how they are similar as well as the stories that they have.

Chinese: This last spring and summer I took Chinese classes so this unit about Chinese fairy tales caught my interest. Also as a child, my dad would always watch Chinese Kung Fu movies while my grandmother watched the drama and fairy tale movies. I'll probably be searching for these old movies along with new ones to learn more Chinese and about the fairy tale stories.

Japanese: First of all I love to watch Anime and some of them have episodes where they have Japanese mythological creatures like a Kappa, which is river monster/demon that pulls people into the rivers and devours them, or an Oni, which can be a demon, a devil, or an ogre. I have long been interested in the Japanese culture and wanted to learn more about it as well as its mythology and folklore. Some of their more terrifying myths and folklore are the only stories and movies nowadays that really get me to check my closet and under my bed at nights. 
(The Kappa AKA River Demon/Spirit)

Japanese (Lang) and (Ozaki): These two units along with the one above have my most interest since I am very into learning about Japanese culture. The two units about the fairy tales of Japan are so interesting because they are dealing with a supernatural which is kind of scary in its own sense. 

Laos: Both of my parents were born in Laos before they came to the US during the Vietnam War and they used to tell me about some of the folklore and superstitions. My girlfriend is also into some of their culture and sort of make me watch their dramas and movies with her. This unit of folklore has my interest due to the connection it has with my family and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment